Monday, February 7, 2011

MBAA race #2 "The Hedgehog Hustle"

The Arizona State Championship Series Race #2 is in the books!

I had heard bad things about this course. The competitive track at Estrella Mountain, rumored to be the most technical course on the circuit, had everyone in a huff. "its too hard" "its too dangerous" were just a couple of the excuses I heard from folks who swore they would never race there. So of course I had to get out there and see what the fuss was about.

The race course is pretty straightforward...it's hard. Big boulders, rocky climbs and descents, sandy sections, loose corners, cactus hanging over the trail, sharp edged boulders....wow this was going to be interesting. Logic told me I would need to finish the race to place well. In order to finish the race I would need to prepare....as preparedness is my racing theme for 2011.

I fished my fattest racing tires from my tire box...Bontrager 29-3 in a 2.25 width inflated to only 15 lbs of psi. I reasoned these tires would keep me from flatting while absorbing the great amounts of shock from all the boulders. Also the low pressure and liberal knobs would provide exceptional traction and flotation on the sandy and gravely corners. The extra weight and rolling resistance was sure to penalize me on the few smooth climbs and on acceleration from corners but finishing the race trumps speed every time!

Race day was on Saturday and I was shocked to see how few of the Pro's showed up for this race. There was only a handful of us but I was happy to see my new rival "Titus Man" on the line. This Ohio native beat me by seconds at the previous race (and least technical course on the circuit) so I was looking forward to competing with him on more technical terrain. Everyone on the line was on a full suspension bike.



We agreed on a "gentleman's start" where we would all work ourselves up to speed slowly. (much less painful) But when the Euro fellow from USA cycling sent us off it quickly turned into another sprint immediately into the first climb of the race.

I settled into second place and remained there for the entire race but Titus man was hot on my heals! For over two hours I concentrated on riding on the edge of control and killing every inch of the racecourse .... only to realize I could not gain any time on this guy...he was constantly yo-yo ing between 10 and 50 seconds to my rear. As we entered the last 10 miles of the trail the terrain became very very technical. See the pics above? Those are average conditions for the technical loop....this went on for 10 solid miles! The whole time I was thinking no way is this guy going to catch me in this terrain but he actually gained time on me! Nearing the last 5 miles I was giving up every molecule of glucose I could muster and started losing control of my bike. Brushing some kind of cactus along the trail my forearm was impaled by dozens of needles. Immediately I experience a painful forearm "pump" that has yet to go away. It was a distraction I did not need as I could see Titus creeping up my rear.

With a little luck I was able to hold him off by only seconds and finish the race in 2nd place which is my best Pro XC finish to date!


I think my tires made all the difference and it was a nice way to be reminded that proper preparation can make a big difference. When I got home I ordered a pair of new Bontrager 29-2 tires made for loose conditions.The hardpack specific tires I was accustomed to in Ohio are less than ideal in these new racing conditions. Every course I have raced on so far has been a totally new experience and I feel like I need to adapt my riding style and product preferences to stay at the top of my game.
I think my next race is at White Tanks...another competition trail in the Phoenix area. I have yet to check it out.
action photos by Barry Hart Photography

1 comment: