Wednesday, March 23, 2011

MBAA Race #4 Foray at the Fort


Foray at the Fort, MBAA race #4 was probably the most important race of the Arizona series for me. This race was worth "points and a half" so it was a good opportunity to get a good finish and some much needed points toward the state championship.

I had trained well, stayed healthy, prepared my bike, arrived on time, all of the requred stuff to have a good finish. Located just a few miles from Mexico on a military base this course was just too far for me to make the drive down for a preride. Luckily I arrived early enough to scope out the first 2 miles of the 6 mile loop. It was all uphill, starting with a false flat and slowly working up to a loose, techy climb near the top.

I finished my warmup and devised a psuedo race plan. Then, just as I was approaching the line and making final adjustments to my gear I broke the zipper on my jersey. Crap on a stick! The temps were cool and the course was fast so I really did not want to compete with my jersey open and flapping in the wind. Near the starting line I struggled for several minutes to repair it. I could hear the announcer over the loud speaker "pro's you have 2 minutes til start" I though for sure I could zoom over with 20 seconds til start and still make it.

Well, apparently they did not use the loud speaker to send off the first wave of racers because when I finally gave up on the zipper and lined up there were no pro's on the line.

"where is the pro class?" I asked the racer next to me. "They left already!" he replied. I cursed and jumped off the line, heading up the road and into a headwind all alone. So much for my race plan!

For the first several minutes I was all alone, could not see anyone. Then I caught the first guy in my class struggling up the steepest part of the first climb. I passed him and moved on into the singletrack that I had not ridden yet. It was very loose and rough, I had thoughts of my bike breaking from the beating it was taking.

The rest of the lap was more of the same, tough, lung burning climbs at altitude followed by steep, loose, rough downhills and finally to the only short road section through the start finish. 1 lap down, 4 to go!

Lap 2 was more of the same, I was moving up and gaining time on second place slowly but surely. He did not see me creeping up behind him and I was just about to make contact, pushing myself hard, riding on the edge, when I lost it in one of the many loose corners and went down hard!



The crash tore a hole in my shorts, bloodied my hip, elbow, shin, and tore my rear shifter housing which eliminated half of my gears. I had no idea I was bleeding and had torn shorts. Too much concentration was needed to keep my chain on a usable cog. I had to hold my shifter between gears on some of the climbs and I dropped my chain several times the 3rd lap, having to stop, dismount, and reinstall it.

Now my hopes of 2nd place were pretty much gone and I just tried to keep my bike together and not crash for the second hour of the race. It was a disappointing feeling to be racing at less than my maximum speed but I managed to keep it upright while navigating through the lapped racers.

"The Fort" was easily the most difficult course I have raced this year, mainly because of the altitude, difficult climbs, and teeth rattling downhills.

I finished 3rd and that was good enough for a podium spot and some valuable points in the series. Currently I am leading the points race but that could easily change considering we are only halfway into the series. We now have a 5 week break in the AZ series. This weekend I intend to travel to Fontana to compete in the US Cup Triple Crown. I will be lining up against the fastest racers in the world in the xc, super D, and short track events! Should make for some good stories at least!


thanks to Barry Hart Photography for the awesome photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment