Thursday, October 6, 2011

East Fork OMBC race

Ok so first off I have no photos from this race....so here are a few from a really fun group ride I did in Pittsburgh with some new and old friends...at least you have something to look at!



With the official end of the State Championship Series and the onset of triple digit heat, I decided it was a good time to focus more on other things like work and family. Boring I know but I have squeezed a few races worth talking about in during that time!


First....road trip! My Rockstar and I decided to drive "home" to the Ohio/Pennsylvania area to visit some friends and family...and do some racing!

First up was the Ohio State Championship Race at East Fork State Park. I really enjoy this course, probably the fastest in Ohio.

After driving for 3 days straight we pulled into the race venue. It was extremely humid and hot, the trails were slightly muddy with lots of clay, roots, and high speed turns. Very little climbing to speak of.

Off we went on my first East Coast race of the year. I stayed tucked into the pack on the road start and got into the singletrack in 3rd position. The trail was fast but slick. We were all trying to push the pace without balling it up. The top 3 of us quickly got a gap on the rest of the field and continued together through the first lap.

Going into lap 2 I was having a hard time holding onto first and second, and they slowly formed a gap. The gap grew throughout that lap and I knew I was likely not catching them at this point. The fast speeds allow for drafting so once a gap is opened between racers it is very difficult to close.

The third and final lap I decided to play it cool and save my energy just in case someone came up from the rear.

And someone did! A long time rival and very fast racer was slowly gaining on me. I kept hearing some bike noises but whenever I looked back I did not see him. Somehow he crept up on me and about 3 miles from the finish he was suddenly on my wheel! Panic Time!

Just as I looked behind me I went off trail striking a tree with my shoulder and this dude flew right around me.

Jumping back on the bike I attacked hard and caught up quite quickly, staying in his draft over the next few minutes of trail. He was racing all out trying to lose me...which was perfect for me, as he used up his precious and limited energy I was cruising behind in his slipstream, just waiting for him to croak.

And he did! Only a mile or so from the finish he lost his handling and crashed down over a drop off to the side of the trail and I had only to ride hard into the finish to clinch my podium spot!

LA also finished 3rd after destroying her rear wheel on the final lap and limping into the finish.
Luckily we had a spare wheel as the double distance race at Vulture's Knob was up next!

No comments:

Post a Comment