Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Arizona State Cyclocross Championships


Mid-December...It had been around 4 months since our last race so we decided it was time to get out and do some racing just for fun. As luck would have it, the Arizona State Cyclocross Championship race happened to be taking place not too far from home!

L.A. 's cyclocross bike was in disrepair, and mine does not exist, so we loaded up my mountain bike and her single speed/fixie and went racin'.

We both showed up with no expectations except to race, hurt, and smile. Mission accomplished!

My race was first, there were about 12 guys in the men's master class. After very little warmup I went off the front on the first lap, but noone came with so I sat up. Into the second lap a couple guys attacked and I chased. They did'nt let up and it became the 3 of us together up front.

The course was all grass with one set of barriers, temps in the high 60's and sunny skies. (I love Phoenix).

Being the only guy on a MTB gave me some advantage on the grassy, tight turns. I could hold more speed through them and that was obvious right away. However I was slower to accelerate and a bit slower on my dismount than my main competitor.

The race between the 3 of us quickly became a race between myself and "main competitor". He was fast on the accelerations and slow in the corners. As the last lap bell rang he put me in front and that was fine with me. I soft pedaled the last lap and he made his move on a straight just like I thought he would. With one tight corner to go I knew I had to make my move so I sprinted up on the inside, he noticed and as we went into the corner he intentionally cut me off and there was a collision. I had to unclip, he sprinted ahead, and I was not able to out sprint the suck in the end. Dirty racing indeed but I applaud his effort. He did what he needed to and won. I was second, one second back.

This was good enough for a podium spot (if they had a podium) and a nice silver medal from USA Cycling! Great surprise for me too, cyclocross is'nt all that bad!

Lee-Ann's race was next. She was the only chick on a single speed and on the flat open course this was a big disadvantage. She rode great and looked strong, I think she even had fun! Finishing 5th among some strong competition.


Today was the first "Southside Underground Crit" and I am stoked to say that I won by about 2". Fun, fast, free, training race!

Much more to update! Coming soon....

1 comment:

  1. Hello.This article was extremely motivating, particularly since I was browsing for thoughts on this topic last Wednesday.
    EBS TremoLo Triple Bass Tremolo Controller Pedal with Stereo Out

    ReplyDelete