Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Ohio Mountain Bike Championship Race #3 "The Wilds"

The "Wilds" is an appropriate name for this course. I seem to forget how difficult it is every year until I get there and do a warm up on the slick, rooty, rocky terrain. We were lucky enough this time to get dry weather for a change and many racers from nearby states showed up to enjoy it.

I was not feeling well at all leading up the race, and even considered skipping it. But I do love racing even when it's not perfect conditions, and I figured I could not get a better workout any other way. So I made the 2.5 hr drive down to Cumberland and signed up to race.

During my warm up ride I noted the trail was extremely tight and technical and I knew a good start would be very important. I set a couple goals, get a good start and hang with the leaders until I puke.

So lining up for the dirt road start I noticed many unfamiliar faces around me, there were so many guys from West Virginia and Pennsylvania it was hard to know who to watch for. No matter, it's not a team sport and my fitness and ability would determine the final outcome anyway.
The starting siren sounded and I clipped in and got a great start, I led the entire pack from the start line, down the road and into the singletrack. It was a good plan as only 3 other guys were able to hang with me and the 4 of us instantly gapped the rest of the racers.

I could not believe I was leading the race and I fought with myself internally to not go too fast. It was difficult, I wanted to take advantage of being in front on such a rough trail but also knew if I redlined that I would get passed and dropped.

As fatigue set in my handling suffered and I slipped off the trail and was passed falling back to 3rd. That was ok though as I could now follow the local fast guys who knew the trail best. I held onto their wheels for several more miles until another slip up sent me crashing off the trail again. Quickly up and on the bike I watched helplessly as the 3 leaders rode away into the distance. I just did not have the fitness to catch back up. Now it was a lone race as I kept an eye out behind me and tried to hold my position.

The course was made for me and my bike, the full suspension and 29" wheels made an extremely technical and rough course much smoother and I enjoyed working the bike through the rough, knowing the guys behind me would be struggling on many of the sections.

It was a painful race as I pushed myself to the limit on the long, 14 mile laps, finally finishing in 2 hrs and 18 minutes for 4th place. Not a bad place but again I was too far behind the leaders for comfort. I am beginning to wonder what the rest of the season holds for me.

I made sure to get my share of Sierra Nevada from the beer bus while waiting for the awards!

"If you do the work, the results will come"....looks like it's time for me to get busy! Next race is only a few days away at Vultures Knob on Saturday!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds as though you deserved that Sierra Nevada! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Brad. Now start training harder. L

    ReplyDelete