Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Vulture's Knob Groovy Series #2 and Muddy Paws Dog Race

Ah...Vulture's Knob...my favorite racecourse. This is where racing started for me way back when, I think it was just about 10 years ago. Last Saturday night found me back there again racing some the same trails that were built more than a decade ago. After having mixed results so far this season I showed up with no real goals or expectation, just hopes for no mechanical problems and a fun day of racing.

Recent heavy rains left the course extremely muddy and slick, and most of the fast guys from this area showed up to play in the mud. Temps were in the mid 70's with humidity.

Our Pro/Expert start was extremely fast, despite getting a great jump off the line I
found myself neck
and neck with 3 other racers 50 yards off the line as we sprinted for the singletrack. Then just as we began our left hand sweeper to begin the prologue one racer decided to go straight causing a high speed pile up involving myself and a couple other racers. We went down hard! I picked myself up to see bikes and bodies and water bottles scattered on the ground to each side of me. Automatically I jumped up and remounted, now at the back of the pack. Time to play catchup!

Slowly working my way through the pack, passing whenever the trail allowed, I clawed my way up to 4th place by the end of lap 1 and was feeling very good.

Early into the second lap I moved into 3rd and rode the entire lap mostly alone, wondering how far ahead the leaders were. Then about mid-lap I
caught sight of 2nd place and slowly reeled him in as he began to slow in the hot, muddy, conditions. I found great satisfaction passing him beginning the 3rd and final lap as he was the guy that caused the wreck at the start, and also because I have never beat this multi-time state champion in a fair race.

The final lap was by far the most difficult of the day as the trail became even more unridable in spots and the watery mud became more of a peanut butter consistency. Riding across the line for my final lap I finished 2nd only a few minutes out of first! Definitely my best performance of the year!

But the day was not over yet, we still had the muddy paws dog race with my Rottweiler "Lava". Lava is not fast but she is very reliable and we have been biking together for over 5 years. I had originally planned to do this race with my younger and faster female Rottie but a training injury found her at home recovering.

The "race" was a time trial type event with a staggered start, 2 miles of trail, off leash, with spectators yelling and throwing dog bones at the pups trying to distract em. Including us there were 6 competitors, 2 pit bulls, 1 german shepherd, a pointer, a lab and another dog, I think it was an Aussie mix.

We were among the last to start and Lava began at a blistering pace...for her. It was only a short way into the race she began to slow and then dieseled her way to the finish, slowly but surely, ignoring the other dogs on the trail and the spectators as if they were not even there. We crossed the line somewhere near last place and made the ladder ride for a 20 second time bonus! It was great to compete with my best bud and favorite dog of all time! Lava enjoyed the attention too.

My next race is a biggie...the Mohican 100....not sure if I
will do the 65mile or the 100 mile event yet, but it's sure to be an epic adventure!

Thanks to Justyna Wlusek and Bob Grimm and whomever else I stole these photos from!

Thanks to my sponsors Gary Fisher and Bontrager Components! Without them I would be a runner and not a biker!

No comments:

Post a Comment