Sunday, February 19, 2012

MBAA Race #2 Wihite Tanks Whirlwind

White Tanks is a pretty fun course. Very fast with a few really rocky, technical sections. Located on the far west side of the valley. Last year I flatted on this course and finished way back like some novice on a hybrid.


This was to be my first race in my new sponsor's kit. Bicycle Ranch of Scottsdale.

I had a plan, the plan involved sticking with the leaders up the first climb, into the tech section, and then riding their draft on the long, long downhill back to the start/finish. There was a large pro/Cat 1 showing and the start was crowded. I found my way up near the front and was feeling that all too familiar burn of a real Pro class start. Within minutes the top 3 guys began to get a gap on me. I burned several matches to catch up only to have them pull away as the terrain got steeper. I burned more and surprised myself with the level of hurt I was able to find within the first few minutes of this race. "shit, this is not going as planned" I thought to myself as I hit a wall and was forced to recover as the leaders rode away together.

Now I was all alone in 4th spot. I was hoping to get caught or catch someone I could work with on the back side of the course, however I was not willing to slow down and wait. For the entire race I was alone, running from the guys behind and chasing helmets in the distance. I never passed or got passed by anyone and overall it was an uneventful race until about 200yards before the finish.

I lost it on a sandy turn, had to put a foot down, and by the time I was back on the trail I noticed another pro right behind me. Luckily I was able to beat him to the line by a few seconds to hold onto 4th. Not good enough for a podium and my second 4th in a row. Currently I sit in 3rd place in the points series with 4 races left.

I have been doing as many road races, circuit races, and crits for training as well...and learning and improving little by little.

The next MBAA race is in just a few days, at the most technical course on the calendar.

Big Ups to our sponsors, Bi
cycle Ranch, Hammer Nutrition, and Trek/Bontrager!

No comments:

Post a Comment