Friday, March 2, 2012

MBAA Race #3 Hedgehog Hustle at Estrella Mtn.






Our Hammer Order Arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

L.A. and I were both looking forward to MBAA Race #3 at Estrella Mountain. This is by far the most rugged course on the calendar this season. The rocky, twisty, techy course suits our east coast riding style and experience.

My race was first at about 8am. There was a large Cat 1/Pro showing and I was looking forward to racing despite fighting illness for the previous week. I had my new Superfly dialed in and was looking forward to ripping up some trail regardless of the outcome of the race.
The girl said "go" and we did. I clung to the tails of the fast guys as we filed into singletrack and moon rocks. As the 30 mile race progressed I passed more and more racers who were fixing flat tires due to the shrapnel like trail surface. I was not feeling very strong and it showed. I got passed and did very little passing. The trail was fast and smooth and gravely in some sections. Then in others I found myself doing trials type technical moves and powering up short burst type climbs.
After lap 1 I heard a crack and eventually realized my seatpost clamp had broken allowing my post to slip. Anyone who races understands that this is not a fun way to ride. I dealt with the bad luck blow and still made it to the finish in 5th place, with no flat tires or crashes, and had loads of fun racing this sweet trail system on my new, black, fresh Superfly Pro.



Next up was Lee-Ann's race in the huge Cat1/Pro field. Temps were rising and we were both looking forward to seeing her tear the course up in a good way. She was to do 25 miles and I was to be her support in the feed zone.
Coming through the feed zone after the first ten miles she looked and felt great, and was comfortably sitting in 3rd. Then, halfway through the race she flatted, which normally is not a big deal but a second flat after left her dead on the trail. She had to walk for literally hours across the desert to reach the parking lot. Parched and burnt she opted not to finish.

Luck was not on our side and here we are already halfway through the State Championship Series.

Next up is the Sierra Vista course near Tucson. mild altitude, lots of climbing, and likely some new competition! Hopefully some better luck as well!

Thanks to Darren Williams for the photos as well as our sponsors~!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the name post
    If need I carry a small first aid kit a small pump CO2 and patches.

    ReplyDelete